Memorable Words of Wisdom and Inspiration

********************** Being able to recognize and identify birds is crucial to our awareness of the world around us. - LEE ALLEN PETERSON *********************

**** Birding is something that we do for enjoyment; so if you enjoy it, you're a good birder. If you enjoy it a lot, you're a great birder. - KENN KAUFMAN ****

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

eBird Report - Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary, 4/21/10 - A Kestrel, 4 Sapsuckers, a dozen Hermit Thrushes & a Porcupine!!

I guess there is one good thing about being unemployed (and thankfully still collecting UI) and that is I am able to get out more often.....yeah, I know, I shouldn't be out birding at all, I should be hitting the pavement day in, day out looking for employment. I wish I were that motivated (I should be nonetheless). Anyhow, I digress, for today was an amazing day to be outside enjoying all that Mother Nature has to offer (including annoying insects and a bit of a sunburn).

I chose to visit Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary in Princeton, MA, only my 2nd time visiting this Mass Audubon property. I had fallen in love with it the first time I visited (back in autumn of last year), but this visit was even more inspiring! I didn't quite hike as much as I did on my 1st visit, but still, I would say 7.5 miles worth of trails is plenty enough! I was at Wachusett from 9 am until about 2:20 pm.

I started off visiting the trails that go along near Beaver Wetland (South Meadow Trail and Beaver Bend Trail). It is here I saw the majority of the Common Grackles, Red-winged Blackbirds, Tree Swallows and all of the Brown-headed Cowbirds (though they stayed mainly near the meadows next to the barns). The lone White-crowned Sparrow I lucked upon was found while walking along South Meadow Trail. It is also here that I saw 2 of the 3 Red-tailed Hawks and the highlight of this area, the AMERICAN KESTREL! Great looks for several minutes before being chased off by Common Grackles. 2 of the 4 Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were found along this stretch as well.

I then went onto Pasture Trail and Heron Rookery Trail. Goldfinches were everywhere throughout the sanctuary, but most were found along Pasture Trail. Sadly, no Great Blue Herons yet at the rookery, but of course more Tree Swallows and a few Eastern Bluebirds. It was when I got onto Fern Forest Trail that I started seeing the Hermit Thrushes (and numerous Dark-eyed Juncos). More Hermit Thrushes were seen along Hemlock Seep Trail as well as the 3rd Sapsucker of the day.

Most of Chapman Trail, West Border Trail, Brown Hill Loop and Summit Trail was quiet. I did find the rest of the Hermit Thrushes I observed on the trails criss-crossing the Brown Hill area, a few of them singing, which was a very welcome sound to my ears! The biggest highlight of this area was coming across a lumbering, slow-moving PORCUPINE, near the northern junction of West Border Trail and Chapman Trail. He either didn't know I was there or just didn't care that I was, for this porcupine was only about 30 feet in front of me....what a sight it was, the first porcupine I have seen in the wild alive! Anyhow, I also trekked along Otter Pond Trail (more Tree Swallows and Bluebirds) and Birch Trail (where I saw my 4th Sapsucker). I made a stop at the Farm Pond found on along the lower half of the North Meadow Trail area and was greeted with Eastern Phoebes, numerous American Goldfinches and Red-winged Blackbirds, a few Eastern Bluebirds and alas, a number of House Sparrows. The other House Sparrows were found, of course, near the barns and other man-made structures.

Well, enough blabbering from me! It was a most fantastic venture and I encourage all others to make a trip out to Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary! Here are the directions from Mass Audubon's website:
From Rt 2: Take exit 28 (Rt 31, Fitchburg/Princeton). Follow Rt 31 south for 3.9 miles to a blinking red light. Turn left at the light and follow Rt 31 and Rt 140 south for 1.8 miles to a blinking yellow light. Turn right and follow Rt 31 south for 2.8 miles to a steep hill and a blinking yellow light (center of Princeton). At the light, follow signs for Rt 62 west by crossing the intersection and bearing right (follow the road as it curves right on the far side of the common after the light). Follow Rt 62 west for 0.6 miles, and you will see the sanctuary sign on the right at Goodnow Road. Turn right on Goodnow Road, and the parking lot is 1 mile ahead on the left.
From Rt I-190: Take exit 5 (Rt 140, Sterling/W. Boylston). Follow Rt 140 north for 2.4 miles to the intersection of Rt 62 (blinking yellow light). Take a left onto Rt 62 west and follow it for 4.2 miles to a stop sign. Turn left on Rt 31 and go up the hill to a flashing yellow light (center of Princeton). Follow directions above from the "center of Princeton."

Here is the link to the information page on Mass Audubon's website for Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary

I hope other folks were able to get out today to enjoy this fine weather and do a little bit of birding/hiking! Happy birding to all!

Location:     Wachusett Meadow Wildlife Sanctuary
Observation date:     4/21/10
Notes:     Also came across a porcupine, my first seen in the wild, alive!
Number of species:     32

Canada Goose - Branta canadensis     4
Wood Duck - Aix sponsa     2 (Beaver Wetlands near jct of South Meadow Trail and Beaver Bend Trail)
Mallard - Anas platyrhynchos     5
Turkey Vulture - Cathartes aura     1 (soaring over Brown Hill)
BROAD-WINGED HAWK - Buteo platypterus     1 (slowly circling over Beaver Wetland and neighboring woods)
Red-tailed Hawk - Buteo jamaicensis     3
AMERICAN KESTREL - Falco sparverius     1 (overlooking Beaver Wetland from trees along South Meadow Trail, near jct with Beaver Bend Trail)
Killdeer - Charadrius vociferus     1
Mourning Dove - Zenaida macroura     1
YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER - Sphyrapicus varius     4 (Wildlife Pond area of South Meadow Trail, Beaver Bend Trail, Hemlock Seep Trail, Birch Trail)
Downy Woodpecker - Picoides pubescens     1
Hairy Woodpecker - Picoides villosus     1
Eastern Phoebe - Sayornis phoebe     4 (near barns and also near Farm Pond)
Blue Jay - Cyanocitta cristata     6
Tree Swallow - Tachycineta bicolor     X (throughout, especially over Beaver Wetland and adjacent meadows)
Black-capped Chickadee - Poecile atricapillus     X
Tufted Titmouse - Baeolophus bicolor     X
Red-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta canadensis     1 (along Fern Forest Trail)
White-breasted Nuthatch - Sitta carolinensis     4
Eastern Bluebird - Sialia sialis     6 (check all bluebird boxes, especially both North and South Meadow Trails)
HERMIT THRUSH - Catharus guttatus     12 (Fern Forest Trail, Hemlock Seep Trail, Chapman Trail, Brown Hill Loop)
American Robin - Turdus migratorius     8
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) - Dendroica coronata coronata     1 (Beaver Bend Trail)
Chipping Sparrow - Spizella passerina     1 (near feeders adjacent to parking lot)
Song Sparrow - Melospiza melodia     3
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW (EASTERN) - Zonotrichia leucophrys leucophrys     1 (South Meadow Trail)
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) - Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis     X (throughout, but mainly along Fern Forest Trail)
Red-winged Blackbird - Agelaius phoeniceus     X
Common Grackle - Quiscalus quiscula     X
Brown-headed Cowbird - Molothrus ater     8
American Goldfinch - Carduelis tristis     X
House Sparrow - Passer domesticus     10

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/massaudubon/)

No comments:

Post a Comment